Multiple SSL Certificates

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 17 12:41:58 UTC 2010

On 17/05/10 06:35 AM, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 02:03:52AM -0400, Jason Carson wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I currently have 2 domain names running on one IP address. Is it possible
>> to setup two SSL certificates, one for each domain?
>
> No, because of the way that SSL works (as I understand it).  Here's a
> reference:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html#vhosts

Using Server Name Indication (SNI) allows hosting multiple named ssl
virtual hosts on a single IP. mod_gnutls supports SNI, and I think
recent versions of mod_ssl do too. Take a look here:

http://www.outoforder.cc/projects/apache/mod_gnutls/
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/NameBasedSSLVHostsWithSNI

The one caveat is that older browsers like IE6 don't support SNI. more
here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication#Browsers

Jamon