iPod Touch and Linux

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Mon May 17 01:21:12 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Thomas Milne
> <tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Anyone using this device with Linux, in particular with Debian?
>>
>> I looked at a couple of tutorials but they're aimed at Ubuntu (like
>> seemingly everything), so some of the steps have me adding Ubuntu
>> sources.
>>
>> I was looking over the release notes for Gnome 2.30 and its supposed
>> to have good support for iPhone/Touch, just wondering how nasty are
>> the hoops I have to jump through.
>
> If you want to do terribly much on it, you'll want it jailbroken.

All I want to do for now is transfer some music, and none of the
recent turorials I've seen even mention having to jailbreak.

> I found the "ifuse" installation to be somewhat flakey/non-fun.  There
> *are* packages of reasonably late-breaking versions of the tooling in
> Debian/testing, so there's hope of it "all working."

I'm on Testing/Unstable, with Gnome in Unstable, so I'm pretty sure I
have the right versions of iFuse and libgpod, but there are some
packages like iProxy that I can't find and only seem to come from
Ubunut, but then again I don't know if i even really need iProxy.

> But iTunes has the habit of overriding things, so the following
> desirable scenario doesn't work out:
>
>  - Sync some stuff onto iPod from Win/Mac via iTunes
>  - Sync more stuff onto iPod from Linux via GnuPod/similar
>  - Sync back on Win/Mac iTunes instance, and get the "union of syncs."

Ideally I would never have to use iTunes after the initial setup.

> Unfortunately, that third step doesn't work :-(.  Sync again, and you
> can expect to watch whatever you added from the Linux side disappear,
> as iTunes "heals the errors" (and deems anything not done using iTunes
> as An Error).
>
> GnuPod isn't unfriendly in that way; it'll happily regenerate its XML
> file based on what files (music/video) it finds on the device.
>
> I can't speak for Amarok or the Gnome-related stuff; there *may* be
> some friendlier bits.  I'm pretty sure you'll want to look up ifuse,
> tho.
>
> And don't have high expectations as to how much interaction you can
> have between the free tools and the extremely-not-free iTunes.

Basically I just want it to be recognized so I can transfer music to
it. The rest can be done over WiFi.

--
TBM