The Unix Beard.

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 16 19:11:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Robert Brockway
<robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010, Colin McGregor wrote:
>
>> Good cartoon, here are some more Linux / Unix related cartoons:
>>
>> http://folk.uio.no/hpv/linuxtoons/
>
> I love the pics at the bottom :)
>
> It's interesting that the author postulates 1999 as the year the general
> public started to take note of OSS.  My position is that they still haven't.
>  Despire OSS being integral to the modern world most people have apparently
> never heard of it or don't have a clue about it even if they have.  See my
> sig.

I've been looking at the Free-To-Air (FTA) satellite stuff, this is
where the broadcasters transmit TV un-encrypted via satellite (this
all part of my I'm not happy with Rogers stuff...). Anyone with the
right hardware (and in a location where they can see one or more of
the FTA satellites) is welcome to watch what is on.

In my searching I turned up an English language magazine published in
Germany about FTA:

http://www.tele-satellite.com/eng/

Back issues to 2006 are available as PDF files that are free to
download. Interesting  to see several firms who advertise in
TELE-Satellite view running running Linux as a selling point to note
in their ads... Not sure how many people reading the above magazine
get the value of having Tux the Penguin on the front of their set-top
box... But the word is getting out there, slowly, painfully slowly...

Colin