btrfs by default in Maverick?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 15 02:00:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Michael Lauzon <mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> "We are going to be doing the work to have btrfs as an installation
> option, and we have not ruled out making it the default."

It mayn't work out in time (there's extra Grub tooling needed), but it
seems like a good thing for them to aim high.

What with Oracle's mussing about with the remains of Sun, it's looking
better and better that the Linux kernel folk didn't get too wrapped up
with the "ZFS! ZFS! ZFS!" chanting of last year.

Even if they do not succeed at getting btrfs as a "near-default"
option, it's pretty sure that they'll make it an *easier* option for
people to consider, and it helps get it deployable six months further
down the road, which is hardly a waste of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs