OT: Password sharing

Fri May 14 20:14:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:15:51AM -0700, Tyler Aviss wrote:
>A question. How many people here share your password at home. For
>example with your family and/or significant-other. Do you have a
>private login, or do you just let them at everything or use a shared
>account?
>
>Either way, what are your reasons?

I have a bunch of passwords for home and work that I don't share, but
which are stored in an envelope with my will.  My GPG password is not
shared nor written down anywhere.

When I am responsible for a group of machines, I keep their passwords
safe, and also allow for easy transfer of responsibility if I am removed
from responsibility.  Certainly none of the machines are safe if someone
has physical access, but both at home and at work I am the only one with
the expertise to access them - so I need to allow my replacement/wife an
easy way in.

I don't use GPG for anything other than signing email, so no one other
than me ever needs that password.

This is a bit of a pain, as I do change passwords regularly, and I may
never know if it is worth it, but at least I have a method.  I have had
to grant access to a couple of machines that I didn't have passwords for
- either when someone left without transferring access, or when someone
has died, and in each case the people left behind didn't know who they
would have asked if I had not been able to help.
--

yours,

William