Booting order / SATA onboard / IDE card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri May 14 18:43:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:37:33AM -0700, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> Oh, and performance-wise, you might want to skip the RAID for any
> scratch or temp space (/tmp) etc. Or if you've got RAM, mount that as
> a ramdisk.

Certainly tmpfs for /tmp is nice.

Of course raid1 often reads twice as fast as a single disk (since linux
software raid does interleaved reads from both disks), and you usually
read more than you write, you usually gain performance.

Not true of any other raid level (raid0 isn't raid so I won't even
consider that one).

--
Len Sorensen