Will a 60-foot run of CAT-5 ethernet cable work?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 13 20:59:52 UTC 2010

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I thought crossover cables were essentially dead:
>
> - they don't always work with modern handshaking (I've been told this
>    but don't know what it means)

They are still used.  While many switches can auto detect the
connection, not all can.  The switch is supposed to determine whether
the connected device is a computer or another switch and connect
accordingly.  All a crossover will do is make one look like the other.

> - having two types of cable that look the same is confusing and leads
>    to yet another networking problem to be debugged.  Or maybe it is
>    just me.
Normally, there'd be some sort of marker or tag on the cable.  I try to
buy them in different colours from straight through cables.