Will a 60-foot run of CAT-5 ethernet cable work?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 13 16:20:08 UTC 2010

Christopher Browne wrote:
> You have to redo enough connectors
It helps to use a decent quality crimper and also carefully examing the
connector, prior to crimping, to ensure the wires are in the correct
location and fully inserted into the plug.  Also use the appropriate
plug i.e for solid or stranded wire.  There are also "universal" plugs
available, but I don't know if they're as reliable as the proper ones.
I have made up many cable in my time and rarely have problems with
them.  I also have a cable continuity tester that shows whether any
wires are open or crossed.  Better testers will even show which end is bad.