Will a 60-foot run of CAT-5 ethernet cable work?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 13 15:30:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> As you have noticed, it's often best to buy ethernet cables, unless you have
> to run longer lengths or put the connectors on after installation.

I used to have a box of 10BaseT wiring kicking around, and a crimping
tool.  It seemed like a frugal idea at the time, but that doesn't seem
to be the case anymore.  You have to redo enough connectors (greatly
worsened if there are cables you regularly manipulate) that the bit of
savings just doesn't seem worthwhile, particularly when you have to
invest in a crimping tool at at least $40.

I see that Canada Computers sells 1000' of cable for $150, versus $30
for a 100' cable.  The 100% premium must be discounted for:
 a) The improved reliability of having a snagless connector melted
onto each end,
 b) The fact that the $15 price doesn't include connectors (probably $1 each???)
 c) Labour time in crimping cables.

Doesn't seem at all worth it these days.