building a new kernel for ubuntu 10.04

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu May 13 05:04:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 04:27:32PM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote

> For make add -j to parallelize processes and speed up the compile, e.g.
> make -j $(($(grep processor /proc/cpuinfo -c) + 1))
> make -j $(awk -F "-" '{printf $2+2}' /sys/devices/system/cpu/possible)

  I run Gentoo, so let's just say that I've done a lot of builds over
the past few years<G>.  I eventually changed to...

MAKEOPTS="-j1"

...notwithstanding that the Gentoo manual says that you can *USUALLY* do
OK with N equal to twice the number of cpus or cores.  Every once in a
while, I would run into a build that mysteriously failed at slightly
different locations every time.  The gurus looking at the build output
would notice that a procedure went like so...
step 1) build a temporary file required for step 2
step 2) do whatever
step 3) delete the file created in step 1

  Sometimes, "parallel execution" would result in step 3 starting before
step 2 was finished... oops!!!  Since the build takes place in another
term, I don't care that it takes a bit longer with j1.  The time saved
in not banging my head against a brick wall over mysterious build
failures easily makes up for that.  The final binary is just as fast,
which is all that a "sane Gentoo ricer" is concerned about.