Will a 60-foot run of CAT-5 ethernet cable work?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu May 13 04:37:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 02:15:17AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote

> So my only option, other than "sneakernet", is 60 feet of CAT-5 cable.
> Will ethernet work over that?

  Thanks to all for the replies.  I got home after work, read the
replies, re-measured the length, and found that 50 feet would be
sufficient.  Then I walked over to the local Home Depot, and picked up a
50-foot cable, *WITH CONNECTORS*, for $20.48 plus tax.  It works.

  In addition to electrical wiring, they also have baluns, coax cable,
TV remote controls.  HDMI cables, etc.  And they don't charge
"monstrous" prices for HDMI cables either.  I've gotten into the habit
of checking them first when I need computer or TV cabling.