Retrieving data from an unmounted mysql database

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 12 04:00:47 UTC 2010

I'm pleased that worked out...

As aftermath. I urge that you make sure backups are brought up to "spec" so
that the answer to as many such questions as possible can become...  "And I
solve this by restoring my backup."

I'm not familiar with MyISAM internals (let alone other engines like Solid,
InnoDB, and such, which'll add to the opacity), but have fiddled little bits
with Postgres and filesystems, and expect similar...  If you get stuck
recovering a failed DB/FS, it's near certain that all you really get is a
set of more or less shattered fragments, as opposed to an actual database or
filesystem.

It's like dropping a plate...  Even if you are lucky enough to find all the
pieces, you'll not likely ever be serving meals on it again.

Fancier porcelain may survive a bit more, but shattering is still
shattering, and the metaphor fits pretty well.

On May 9, 2010 10:50 PM, "William O'Higgins Witteman" <
william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 07:46:55PM +0000, ijaaz-UwkSZrAjFfdkDLQDXwjzI9BPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org wrote:
>Couldn't you just copy /v...
No, at least not in this case - when mysql tried to start it made an
effort and then barfed.

The solution was that I still had a bootable hard drive from the dead
server (it was MB failure that killed it), and I was able to boot it on
another machine and do a dump, then pull the dump off to a USB stick and
put everything back together again.

Thanks for the help!
--

yours,