[OT] Getting out from behind a corporate firewall

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 11 15:12:14 UTC 2010

Technical: A simple option to the ssh/vnc to your home computer is just to use logmein.com (free for personal use). It goes through web (ssl) so if there's a web proxy it may be blocked though.

Human: without getting into legal/ethical issues I think it's "bad" to try and circumvent a company's network/security policy without their knowledge. You can try and see after a few days how the Internet is used (for example people browsing during lunch may be fine) and then for example comment that you are going to browse too but through your home desktop, since you have your settings there and it's safer for them (no stuff downloaded locally etc).

Try to see this from the company's and their IT guys' point of view. I wouldn't have a problem with people doing some personal browsing in my company (they can do whatever they want as long as the jobs is done) but I would have a serious issue with somebody that purposely and without asking tries and goes around the policy and other people's work; it's a breach of trust.
Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com