[OT] Getting out from behind a corporate firewall

Myles Braithwaite me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Tue May 11 13:03:02 UTC 2010

Speaking as someone who recently had to deal with this kind of stuff
(the employee in question was looking at that Adult Friend Finder type
sites). I simple blocked the website at the DNS level to redirect to a
internal web server with a simple splash page saying "This website has
been blocked by the SysAdmin". No ever contacted the employee and
after this block was put in place we even noticed a pickup in his
sales.

Most companies don't measure you work in hours worked but if you are
actually getting the job done (speaking of most desk jobs). Most
wouldn't mind if you spend 30 minutes a day looking at different
photography sites (which by the way are the most common to be
blocked).

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> 4. Hope that your boss and/or the IT dept don't read TLUG archives: -)
>
> 5.  It should not be cause for termination, but it sure could be
> reason for extra scrutiny, and a need to Tread Particularly Carefully
> for the duration of the contract.
>
> It's not as if this is the world of Philip K Dick's "Paycheck", where
> you're signing your memories from the last two years away, and they'll
> make sure you don't remember what you worked on.
>
> If they're paying to do Internet Photography, then it's reasonable to
> expect them to provide access to that.  If they're paying to work on
> an Internet appliance, then doing non-appliancy things at work isn't
> part of the job.
>
> Working at one's work for 10 months, when at the office, is not a
> notably heinous thing.
>
> There's extra justification for not bringing work home, too.
>
> --
> http://linuxfinances.info/info/linuxdistributions.html

Myles Braithwaite
http://mylesbraithwaite.com | me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org