Home web server

Mon May 10 19:29:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 03:07:15PM -0400, teddy-5sHjOODPK7E at public.gmane.org wrote:

>If it is for business. dont run a home server.
>Most home connections push 80k to120k/sec, which is very slow.
>Plus you are almost guaranteed of not getting a static IP from your
>provider.

The OP's provider is Teksavvy, which does allow both servers and static
IPs.

>I think you would be much better off getting a dedicated or virtual
>server from a web hosting company and using a static ip.
>If you do decide to run the server from home,.set it up so it can be
>relocated to a datacenter when that time arrives.

This is far from free, whereas a home server is much closer to free.

>>1/ Good registrar? I saw the earlier thread about registering *.ca
>>domains... any reason to pay a bit more at domainsatcost.ca vs - for
>>example - godaddy to register a *.com domain?

I second the recommendation of easydns - they are not as cheap, but they
have a local office and their service and domain management are very
good.  You don't have to register with them, of course, but I like that
my DNS is hosted there.

I have been running a home server for many years, and it works very
well, even with ports 80, 443 and 25 open.  I use a non-standard ssh
port, because no one but me needs to know it.

I have out-sourced my server a few times (ADSL upload speeds are slow,
and so some of my sites are slower than I'd like), but I keep bringing
it back home so that if it breaks I can do something about it.

Good luck, and have fun.
--

yours,

William