Home web server

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Mon May 10 19:28:15 UTC 2010

yeah i looked at doing this too.
I already discovered in my travels:
You have to force off the screen (can do it, google for it),
you have to put it on a fan-bed (they sell these things for notebooks),
you can get them to power from usb.
I have also experimented with usb gigabit adapter on it, and was happy.
No need for the linksys in the loop.
I was going to use it as a home router, had 4 ethernets working on it, and blasted files across the
zones and was very happy. Of course it would also make a nice web server.
Fan makes a whinny sound, and i guess would break in time, but a good fan set up should allow
it to stay working with even a dead fan. But I was tempted to open it up and see if I could do better,
as i wasn't convinced i'd get 10 years mean time between crash/failures.
May also want to consider a cisco with linux on it.
If price isn't too much of a concern, also check out linuxdevices.com  for fanless low power draw
devices.
Has built in ups, but will wind down to nothing in a few year. I would still put in the wart and
put it to a ups as well (redundant ups!), and then look to switch out batteries in both as needed.
Only unknown would be, after 24/7 for a year(s), would something just go on it due to a heat pocket somewhere.

tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>