Home web server

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 10 19:03:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Daniel Armstrong wrote:
>>
>> Hi all... Anybody hosting their own web server from home?
>>

> Not now. I did that for years. Even, what may sounds funny, I hosted at home
> a server of real company [a backup], when troubles happened with the real
> one.
>
>> As a learning exercise I am considering setting up a server with this
>> configuration:
>>
>> Hardware: Asus EeePC 900HA (built-in UPS! :-)
>> OS: Debian Squeeze
>> Web Server: nginx serving up some static web pages created in ikiwiki
>> Router: Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato 1.27
>> ISP: Teksavvy (whose Terms of Use allow running home servers)
>>

> If the traffic is not going to be large, you may host it on a box that
> possibly could cost less than 100 $.
>
> zb.

Mini-ITX /w a via C7 processor and 1GB of RAM (which would be
excessive except that it also does Samba, LDAP, etc etc).
I've had the same cruddy little APC ups for *years* and the thing
never seems to go down in a power outage. There's something to be said
for low-power-consumption rigs, even if it also tends to mean they're
a little pokey at times if you need to recompile the kernel or mogrify
a bunch of pictures.

I don't know if I'd run an EEE laptop 24/7 though. They tend to get a
bit finicky when they're running warm for awhile (or at least mine
does).

--
Tyler Aviss
Systems Support

“Even enemies will help each other if they are together on a boat that
is in trouble. ” – Sun Tzu