[OT] Getting out from behind a corporate firewall

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 10 15:42:33 UTC 2010

On 10-05-10 11:26 AM, John Sellens wrote:
> | In June I start work on a ten month project for a company that makes
> | network equipment for ISPs.
> |
> | I expect that they have a very tight firewall and web proxy.
> |
> | I want to be able to get out from it, of course.
>
> Instead of publically planning to circumvent company policy before
> you even start, perhaps you might be better off if you ask your new
> employer about network policies.
>
> Be a shame to get in trouble before you even start work ...
>
> John
>
> P.S. cough, ssh, cough

1) I have no idea what, if any, policies they may have.

2) In my experience, IT departments have all the flexibility of a block
of granite.

3) I will be working as an independent contractor, and do not expect to
be signing a network access agreement

4) I am pretty sure port 22 would be monitored. I am thinking port 443.

5) It is easier to ask forgiveness than obtain permission.

Stephen