Retrieving data from an unmounted mysql database

Mark Lane lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 8 19:44:54 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 12:25 PM, William O'Higgins Witteman
<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> A while ago I have a server that died.  I have the hard drive, but I do
> not have all of the data off of the mysql database that was running on
> the machine.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can get a database dump of a mysql database
> that is not running?  Does that make sense?  Thanks.
> --

I am pretty sure you will need a running MySQL to perform a dump of
the old database(s). Each MySQL database has it's own directory so you
would need to copy those to a working install of MySQL Server then set
the server up to access those databases. I would use a test system.

You said your server died right. I assume that was a hardware failure?
If the Linux install on the Drive is still good, you could just throw
the drive in another system and boot it up to run MySQL Server and do
your dump. To be safe, you don't even need to put the machine on a
network. Just dump the sql to that drive, another hard disk or a flash
drive (if that Linux install supports flash drives).

--
Mark Lane <lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>