[SOLVED]: Belkin N150 router wireless light won't come on

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat May 8 03:55:42 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 05:03:53PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
> I'm trying to connect to a Belkin N150 wireless router with a netbook
> running Gentoo.  I know that that the netbook's wireless works, because
> I've surfed the web at a Toronto Public Library free wifi hotspot.

  I was getting ready to make a post about my setup for dealing with
UBB, and how I intended to offload email and system updates to dialup,
while still using ADSL for the heavy-duty realtime stuff.  Originally,
dialup could not co-exist with eth0.  I had to bring down eth0 before
dialing out and establishing ppp0.  Then I had a Homer Simpson
"dohhhhhhhhhh" moment.  I was trying to connect via wlan0 to the
wireless router, while eth0 was still running.  What if I brought down
eth0 first?  Guess what, instant success on the wireless connection.

  Some time ago, I had gotten annoyed at losing the connection to the
LAN while doing dialup.  I eventually figured out that by...
* setting the default route to metric 2
* and setting the route to my LAN to metric 0
...I can run dialup and eth0 to the LAN simultaneously, and not have
to tear down eth0.  Here's my /etc/conf.d/net (Gentoo-specific).

config_eth0="192.168.123.251 broadcast 192.168.123.255 netmask 255.255.255.240 mtu 1452"
routes_eth0=(
"default via 192.168.123.254 metric 2"
"192.168.123.248/29 via 192.168.123.254 metric 0"
)

  I assume something similar would allow eth0 and wlan0 to co-exist on
my netbook.  I'll try that later.