Tenda W311U and Debian

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 6 15:10:57 UTC 2010

On 6 May 2010 10:41, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 10:16:20AM -0400, Giles Orr wrote:
>> Sorry, I didn't say: what's wrong is that I have no network interface
>> despite the appearance that everything is working correctly.  I've
>> tried "ifconfig ra0 up" as root (that's the interface name that showed
>> on the Ubuntu laptop) just in case that would help, but it didn't.
>>
>> You're also correct that I should check both sticks with the Ubuntu
>> laptop to verify that they both work and see if I can determine if
>> they're functionally the same.  I'll try to do that tonight.
>
> ifconfig -a.  Does it call it eth or wlan or something?  Recent kernels
> have changed a lot of the wireless cards to use more standard names.
>
> I tend to use network manager for wifi these days, in which case nm-tool
> is pretty handy for viewing state of things.  It's a bit hard to configure
> without the gnome gui tool unfortunately.

And ... problem solved!

"ifconfig -a" showed that the interface was there but called "wlan1"
because the netbook already has an onboard wireless card.  All I had
to do was "ifconfig wlan1 up" and we're away.

After 15 years of using Linux, it's the staggering array of command
line switches I _don't_ know that really kill me.  This one I hope to
remember.  Thanks again Lennart.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/