Ryzom coming to Linux and FreeBSD?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 6 13:40:13 UTC 2010

Got a note from the Free Software Foundation that a massively
multi-player game Ryzom is being released as free software .. sort of.
Ryzom is a game where you explore an alien landscape, doing various
quests (ie: retrieve the treasure at ...). All the software required
to run a Ryzom server and clients is being released. 13 GB of artwork
is being released under a creative commons license. What isn't being
released is the music and sound effects (the company behind Ryzom
doesn't have the rights to release those). What also isn't being
released is terrain description files, "special" object files and
quest definition files.

In other words what we are looking at is a tool kit for building games
like Ryzom, with a few critical, but replaceable, pieces missing...
Details to be seen here:

http://dev.ryzom.com/news/13 and at
http://www.fsf.org/news/free-ryzom-1

My questions are, how long before the Ryzom client is ported to Linux
and/or FreeBSD? Also, how long before you can do a usable totally free
Ryzom server?

Colin McGregor