Linux Symposium

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 4 20:12:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 02:25:57PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I again encourage everyone to consider going to the Linux Symposium in
> Ottawa July 13-16.
>
> It's a great conference.  I think that I've only missed two years, so I'm
> speaking from experience.
>
> It's *not* a trade show.  No booths hawking snake-oil.  Lots of talks
> about Linux technology by the people who built it or want to improve it.
>
> It's also great to get into informal discussions with these folks,
> speakers or not.  I've screwed up my courage on a few occasions to invite
> interesting people to share a meal.  Well worth the potential
> embarrassment.  Beer-drinking is a useful but not mandatory skill.
>
> The conference proceeding (printed versions of talks) are available online
> for many previous years.
> <http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2010/archives.php>
>
> Here's the web page: <http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2010/>
> The best thing on that page is the sentence with my name :-)
>
> Several TLUGers have gone in previous years but not as many as I would
> hope.  This year I know I'm going and so is Lennart.  Hey, there's a draw:
> almost none of you have met Lennart -- here's your chance!

I want to go.  I paid (but can get a refund by June if I can't go).
I figured pay early to get the lowest rate, and work out the details
later.  I went the last two years and it was very useful and a great
learning experience.  I have always learned something that has been
useful for my work.  I hope my job will let me go again.

> It's great to support a local-ish venue like this.  The next best
> conference might be Linux Conference Australia, which is a lot less
> convenient for almost all of us (even when they hold it in New Zealand).
>
> Hints (i.e. things that have worked for me):
>
> - I like to go by train.  Carpool is good too.  RedFlag Deals has
>   helped me find good Via Rail deals a few times.  I flew one year
>   because of an amazing seat sale.
>
> - OC Transpo is a reasonable bus system.  Some busses are particularly
>   fast because they have dedicated rights-of-way.  I mostly use it to
>   get from and to the train station.  Stupidity: you need tickets or
>   exact change (I think) and yet they don't sell tickets at the train
>   station.

I believe Vancouver airport has a similar problem.

> - I like to stay in the University of Ottawa residence.  Rent a
>   Suite because the regular rooms lack airconditioning and can be
>   unbearable.  Ask for the conference rate.  You get two bedrooms and a
>   kitchen, so room sharing is a good idea.  About $100 a night, split
>   two ways, is quite reasonable.  A 10 or 15 minute walk to the
>   conference.
>
> - Others have found good rates with various hotel-booking websites.
>
> - The youth hostel in the old jail is really close to the conference
>   but it doesn't sound as attractive.

Oh, I walked by that when at the show two years ago and wondered what
that was about.

> - Les Suites is good and close but more expensive.
>
> So: who else is going?

Well I am hoping.

--
Len Sorensen