Touchscreens (was: Touchsmart touchscreen all-in-one desktop computer $699)

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 4 19:15:53 UTC 2010

I'd be happy to find LCD touchscreen stuff that I know would work with 'nix.

I have a 7" Lilliput that *used* to work years ago when I had a 2.4
kernel with X11 (Debian). It had a driver which I had to compile, but
other than editing a source file to swap the X&Y it worked great.

Now I've got a newer kernel and X.org, and with the eGalax driver, and
the darn thing will NOT calibrate properly. I've manually entered
values, tried using "evtouch" with the configurator, etc etc. No luck.
Usually it starts OK at the top and then by about halfway down the
cursor is off in la-la-land.

Anyone know what touchscreen drivers exist that don't suck (other
than, assumedly, WACOM, of course... and even those seem touchy at
times)?

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:45 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> <http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4496352&Sku=H50-2500CA&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2001-_-CatId_6_H50-2500CA>
>
> I think that this is an interesting form-factor for a computer: 22"
> LCD touchscreen with built-in decent computer (not an Atom).
>
> Things to note:
>
> - comes with Vista; Win7 is probably a better choice for touch screens
>
> - used to be a bit of a struggle to put Ubuntu on it but 10.04 seems to
>  work right out of the box.  See
> <http://www.touchsmartdevzone.com/article/2327/How-to-make-Ubuntu-Linux-work-on-a-TouchSmart-IQ506/>
>  I'm assuming that the IQ506 and IQ516 are the same in this respect.
>
> - the TV tuner is probably not supported by Linux
>
> - The CPU does not have VT
>
> - the touch screen is "multitouch" (bi-touch?) and I have no idea what
>  X does with that.
>
> As a desktop, this seems well kitted-out.  A bit like an iMac, but
> with a touchscreen, and cheaper.
>
> I'd like to play with one, but I cannot think of a reason/excuse that
> it would be particularly useful for me.

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2/CLA

“Even enemies will help each other if they are together on a boat that
is in trouble. ” – Sun Tzu