deal: HP Touchsmart touchscreen all-in-one desktop computer $699

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 4 18:45:29 UTC 2010

<http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4496352&Sku=H50-2500CA&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2001-_-CatId_6_H50-2500CA>

I think that this is an interesting form-factor for a computer: 22"
LCD touchscreen with built-in decent computer (not an Atom).

Things to note:

- comes with Vista; Win7 is probably a better choice for touch screens

- used to be a bit of a struggle to put Ubuntu on it but 10.04 seems to
  work right out of the box.  See
<http://www.touchsmartdevzone.com/article/2327/How-to-make-Ubuntu-Linux-work-on-a-TouchSmart-IQ506/>
  I'm assuming that the IQ506 and IQ516 are the same in this respect.

- the TV tuner is probably not supported by Linux

- The CPU does not have VT

- the touch screen is "multitouch" (bi-touch?) and I have no idea what
  X does with that.

As a desktop, this seems well kitted-out.  A bit like an iMac, but
with a touchscreen, and cheaper.

I'd like to play with one, but I cannot think of a reason/excuse that
it would be particularly useful for me.