Maxtor Drive issue...

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 3 18:34:37 UTC 2010

A friend of mine from WAY back has just arrive in Toronto with a dead
Maxtor drive. The drive was in an external USB case, and by mistake he
connected an 18 volt power supply to the 12 volt connector... I had
hoped when I spoke to my friend that the only thing damaged would be
the USB to EIDE adapter, but there is visible damage to one of the
chips on the drive itself. So as I see his options:

- Find another Maxtor MaXLine II 300GB ATA/133 HD and attempt a drive
control replacement (can anyone help here?).
- Turn it over to a professional data recovery firm (any suggestions
as to who is good / local / reasonably prices).

Thanks.

Colin.