Asus motherboard? -- never again!

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 29 15:58:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 05:57:26PM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> On 03/26/2010 03:06 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> If 100% of ECS boards failed, they would not be in business anymore,
>> since no OEM would buy from them.  They do have a long history of
>> unreliable and flacky boards.  They may not necesarily die, but they
>> can be unreliable. I once saw a windows 98 system that frequently
>> crashed and corrupted the filesystem.  Seems simple enough to blame
>> microsoft for it.  Turns out replacing the power supply fixed the
>> problem.  Bad power made the system unstable.  So an unreliable
>> motherboard could do that.
>
> I think that's quite a leap to make from "bad power supply" to
> "unreliable motherboard". You can't be sure that one of your beloved
> Asus motherboards wouldn't have misbehaved the same way with dirty power.

The misbehaving win98 box was in fact an Asus P5A.  My point was a bad
power supply can make anything unstable.  You don't want any piece of
unreliable hardware in a system, whether it be motherboard or power
supply or ram.  The whole system is only as good as the worst component
in it.

--
Len Sorensen