Asus motherboard? -- never again!

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 29 15:56:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:08:50PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> Did you get caught on the same BIOS bug? If so, on what sort of project(s)?

For some reason nvidia stores the mac address backwards on many of their
ethernet chips, and the driver has to read it, reverse it and put it
back in the chip.  Of course it's tricky to know if some other driver
already did.

> My first (well, only) new motherboard after the above noted mess was
> another ASUS . I wasn't happy about the BIOS bug (yes, it may have
> been due to an nVidia issue, but I hold the motherboard maker
> responsible for the whole package...). From experience I know that
> once ASUS hardware is running  it will be almost bullet proof...

That is certainly true.  I just found the original box from my 486
board yesterday.  Still have it.  I was amused to see it it says "Made
in Taiwan R.O.C." on it.  Later items say "Made in Taiwan", or of course
these days "Made in China".  Nowhere does it actually say Asus.  Just a
model number and "Main Board for 486".

At least they did fix the problem.  I wonder how many companies would
just have decided the small number of people that netboot were too small
to bother fixing.

--
Len Sorensen