[OT]: More on the Canadian Spaceport front (Was: How to help a Canadian Spaceport?)

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 28 18:54:31 UTC 2010

I came across a story in the Sun today which reminded me of the
conversation we had on-list a couple years ago...

"Cape Breton may become a Canadian version of Florida’s historic Cape
Canaveral where astronauts and rockets have been launched into outer
space for decades.

The Canadian Space Agency is looking at the Nova Scotia island as one
of two possible sites to blast small satellites into orbit using an
indigenous rocket launch system.

The other possible micro-satellite launch site is Fort Churchill in
Manitoba, near Hudson Bay, where hundreds of small research rockets
have been launched in the past."

For those who were/are interested, this latest story can be found at:
<http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/03/28/13385886.html>

The focus no longer appears to be on tourism although it is mentioned
in the article.  Monitoring Arctic sovereignty is also listed as a
potential reason for having a spaceport.

Cheers,
- Scott.

PS - Some context from the ~2.5 year old conversation:

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/   @psema4

  Member of the Pirate Party of Canada