Asus motherboard? -- never again!

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 26 02:18:24 UTC 2010

On 03/25/2010 10:06 PM, William Park wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 09:51:36PM -0400, Peter King wrote:
>> Could be something in the machine, at least for the last two. But when
>> I put in the
>> factory-sent motherboard on Monday, I also changed the power supply,
>> and it's all
>> plugged into a UPS (which should take care of random spikes). So my guess is the
>> motherboards -- maybe the M4A78 Pro is a rum design.
>
> I also have AMD/Asus board... and it's flaky.  I think the only reason
> why it lasted this long is I have very good power supply.  My next
> computer will be Intel cpu and Intel board.

For what it's worth, when I spoke to a fellow at the Canada Computers
store in Pacific Mall last fall when I was shopping for components to
build the system I'm currently using, he recommended Asus when I asked
him about a Gigabyte which was about the same price as the Asus that I
eventually bought. He said, "By the way, I'm the tech who has to deal
with RMAs. I rarely see Asus motherboards returned but I see Gigabyte
and others all the time." I know that's anecdotal evidence but assuming
he has no vested interest in telling me that, he's bound to have a
bigger sample to draw from than I would. Having said that, if the other
popular brands were so awful, they wouldn't survive. It's a competitive
market.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay