OT: Copy NTFS based files between servers AND retaining permission intact

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 16 01:15:03 UTC 2010

On 15 March 2010 14:10, Rafael Carneiro <rafael.carneiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Shouldn't robocopy /COPYALL (or /COPY:DATSOU) do that?
>
> /COPY:copyflag[s] :: what to COPY (default is /COPY:DAT).
>                      (copyflags : D=Data, A=Attributes, T=Timestamps).
>                      (S=Security=NTFS ACLs, O=Owner info, U=aUditing info).

Hmm, actually that is the flag that I used. Like this

robocopy "H:\\Directory" "D:\\Directory2\Directory3" /COPYALL /E /R:0

Thought copy all would do it. Not sure what went wrong till now.
However, Andrej I like your suggestion, how do you get the summery of
a tree's permissions so that I compare the old and the new stuff. Its
far better than manually opening every directory and checking the
properties for permission.

Lennart, I actually toyed with the idea of using live CD and then use
rsync, and certain it would keep the posix permissions very reliably.
Question is, does this apply to NTFS permission too? Google could not
find me an answer for that from reliable source, so I let the idea go.

William