interesting discontinued netbook

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 15 20:58:33 UTC 2010

LG X120-N.CSBAA8 Netbook $329 (free shipping because it is over $100):
<http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5732581&sku=L49-1210%20CA>

Things I noted:
+ 1366 x 768 resolution screen
+ LED backlight
+ 6-cell battery
- one bar for trackpad buttons so pressing left and right at the same time
  (to simulate middle button in X) cannot be done.  What does one do
  instead?
+ uses gma 950 -- Linux support
+ "Smart On", some kind of quick-boot minimal Linux (on disk?)
+ bluetooth and 802.11b/g
+ room for 3g radio?  MiniPCI slot? (Some models come with one.)
- 1G RAM; 160G HD
+ 3 USB (more than some netbooks if I remember correctly)
+ 1.3M webcam
+ flash card reader built-in.  SD listed but SDHC is not.  I hope that
  that is a mistake. [sales person says it should do SDHC]
- OS: Win7 Starter

This is a year-old model.  Newer is better.

I'm not clear what the warranty is.  It appears to be 1 year parts and
labour from LG, but perhaps only in the US.  On the other hand, the
tigerdirect writeup refers to "Canadian English" Window 7 Starter
Edition.  [Sales person says that support should be from LG Canada.]

I cannot find this model on the LG web site.

I wonder if it has a bilingual keyboard.  It seems to be unavailable on
the tiger direct US website.  [The site does not specify the layout so the
sales person thinks it should be US layout.]

I just ordered one (after I typed the above).