Pi day...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 15 18:15:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 02:40:49PM -0400, Renata Rocha wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:29, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> > Just to briefly note, today is Pi day (3.14). Enjoy...
>>
>> I noticed that on March 14 2015 at 9:26 we'll have a more accurate Pi date.
>
> Nope.  Not acceptable.  Year goes first.

We've already accepted that we're kludging a decimalized approximation
of a transcendental number onto a mixture of Babylonian base 60
notation, with components of Roman calendaring as further modified by
Pope Gregory.

When all that muddling around comes in as preconditions, I can't see
why it isn't totally acceptable to do whatever modifications anyone
imagines would increase the length of the "string match."

After all, this certainly isn't about any notion of mathematics - the
matching is totally a superstitious numerology thing.  (And the amount
of discussion this has gotten seems to fit my idle thesis that the
amount of superstition in societies remains fairly constant.  Those
that give up on praying to Mary seem to find other superstitions to
spend their time on.  But I digress...)