OT: Copy NTFS based files between servers AND retaining permission intact

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 12 20:19:48 UTC 2010

Hi there,

This is a tad window centric, so may not be entirely appropriate for
the LUG and hence the OT label. That being said, I believe some of us
might be dealing with Windows once in a while and hence the post.

We are in the middle of migrating between to file servers and we used
robocopy.exe to move files to the new file server. I did a sample
check on some of the files and the permissions seemed to have carried
over well. However, when I sent out to selected users, some were
actually able to read documents that were originally unavailable. This
kind of mean manually going through all directories, something I would
rather avoid.

Anyone know of a tool that can do this job better or have gone through
the experience before and would not mind sharing their experience?

Would appreciate any pointers and thanks in advance

Regards,

William