[OT] Where to get stuff fixed?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 8 15:11:24 UTC 2010

William Park wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:59:11AM -0500, Thomas Milne wrote:
>
>> Kind of an outdated concept, I know, but does anyone know of a place
>> for fixing electronic stuff, ie. not just replacing parts, but
>> actually able to fix them?
>>
>> I have a multimedia drive that's a few years old, and it works great
>> but the connector on the back where the power supply plugs in is
>> dodgy, you have to position the plug _just so_ for it to work. It
>> probably just needs soldering or something.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a place they've used?
>>
> If it's soldering problem, then it should be simple to fix.  You'll have
> to weigh the cost of getting soldering iron (and solder) vs. getting a
> new drive.

Anyone capable of doing this sort of work likely already has a soldering
iron.  If someone has no experience with soldering, they run the risk of
damage.  While soldering is a simple skill, it has to be practiced a bit
before working on circuit boards.  However, if the device is likely to
be tossed anyway, there's no harm in trying.