Frustrated with MediaTomb

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 8 02:07:32 UTC 2010

Just thought to let you know, I also use ps3 media server and it works
perfectly for me and is very easy to use.

I love it, you may wanna try it out.

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Rafael Carneiro
<rafael.carneiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've been using ps3mediaserver for a while and highly recommend it:
> http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/
>
> I tried many others before I found it to be just what I needed.
>
> Cheers,
> Rafael
>

> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Thomas Milne
> <tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> I suggest you stop MT and run from your user terminal. Make sure you get
>>> something like this:
>>>
>>> stephen at roissy:~$ mediatomb
>>>
>>> MediaTomb UPnP Server version 0.12.0 - http://mediatomb.cc/
>>>
>>> ===============================================================================
>>> Copyright 2005-2008 Gena Batsyan, Sergey Bostandzhyan, Leonhard Wimmer.
>>> MediaTomb is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License
>>> version 2
>>>
>>> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Loading configuration from:
>>> /home/stephen/.mediatomb/config.xml
>>> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Checking configuration...
>>> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to UTF-8
>>> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Setting metadata import charset to UTF-8
>>> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Setting playlist charset to UTF-8
>>> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
>>> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Initialized port: 49154
>>> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Server bound to: 192.168.0.50
>>> 2010-03-07 17:58:26    INFO: MediaTomb Web UI can be reached by following
>>> this link:
>>> 2010-03-07 17:58:26    INFO: http://192.168.0.50:49154/
>>> 2010-03-07 17:58:55    INFO: thread cleanup; thread_id=-1235928208
>>>
>>> Pay attention the IP address and port. You need to add these in your
>>> browser.
>>>

>>> In the config.xml file you should have a line like:
>>>
>>>   <home>/home/stephen/.mediatomb</home>
>>>
>>> This should allow navigation on the PS3 through your file system making
>>> adding your media to the database unnecessary.
>>>
>>> It took me a while to get everything working, because my music is in .flac
>>> files and I had to transcode to pcm. But the quality is outstanding and the
>>> effort was worth it.
>>>
>>> Keep me posted.
>>>

>> I found that I had better results with just using localhost instead of
>> my IP. Don't know why but when I went in that way, it worked normally.
>>
>> Now, this Mediatomb is _crazy_. I must have hit the wrong button,
>> because when I looked at MT through the PS3, it had added all of the
>> content from my HD, as well as two connected USB drives. Everything!
>>
>> LOL, what a mess!
>>
>> I mv'd the database file and started over, much more sane when you add
>> one thing at a time.
>>
>> I'll definitely take your advice and run it as a normal user, though,
>> it's at least a lot easier to play with the config and so on.
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> --
>> TBM
>> --