Frustrated with MediaTomb

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 7 22:49:10 UTC 2010

I'm trying to get MediaTomb working with my PS3. I got it installed
fine, and the PS3 has no trouble seeing the server. The problem is
getting the MediaTomb UI to see the server so I can add my media.
Every time I try to access the Filesystem icon, I get an error about

MediaTomb cannot be reached! Please check if the server is still running.

I've waded through the FAQ, Google and the like, but I have no idea
what the problem is. Currently the server is running on startup, from
/etc/init.d. Most of the documentation, for some reason, refers to
mediatomb being started as a normal user. Also, the documentation
refers to the web UI address being printed in the output when run
manually. I don't see this at all. Also, since the PS3 can see the
server, my problem is NOT that the server isn't running, right?

Before I jump onto their forums, can someone spare me a quick tip? I
have a feeling I'm close, missing something minor but critical.

--
TBM