Linux installation snags

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 30 15:04:06 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> runlevel 3 is only no X on redhat (and a few redhat like distributions).
> It has never meant that in general.
[snip]
> I would have thought it still followed the runlevels to determine what
> to run, just not for what order to do the starts.

I'll have to do more reading on Upstart to see how one is supposed to
control what starts at boot time based on kernel command line arguments.

>> The main problem with the move to Upstart is that it delays running of
>> some processes during startup including the running of fsck. If you have
>> your user partition (ie. /home) on a separate partition from root, your
>> machine can boot and give you the gdm login screen but the system can be
>> (unknown to the person about to login) still running fsck
[snip]
 > That's ridiculous.  Certainly on Debian, rcS still finishes before rc2
 > is done, even if some things are done in parallel now.  So until fsck
 > is done and things are mounted, no services will try to run.

Yes, I thought that was ridiculous. Perhaps it has been fixed with a
recent update to Ubuntu 10.04 but I haven't been using that version of
Ubuntu on my desktop right now due to some other problems (sound being
one of them).

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> And the switch user still does not function properly. As well, logging
> out often hangs the computer permanently. I'm having to restart the
> computer just to switch users.

I have never tried (or needed to) switch users so I can't comment on
this. I'll have to try it sometime just to see what happens.