Home NAS Recommendations

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 30 00:00:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 09:09:04PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I am planning to set up a fileserver for my home network.  Mainly, this
> is so that when my wife is at home she can sync her laptop and her
> desktop (both Macs) via a quick-and-easy rsync so that both machines are
> always in sync, with an additional copy on the network from which the
> offsite network backup can happen at night.
>
> I don't want to set up a separate full-sized machine to take this role -
> I'd prefer a small, quiet and inexpensive device that I can plug in and
> will "just work".
>
> I am looking at these two devices - a Linksys Media Hub or a WD MyBook:
>
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_357&item_id=023031
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_213_603&item_id=031508
>
> I would welcome any other suggestions or caveats.  Thanks!

Hmm... how about one of MediaSonic 4-bay boxes:

    http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=MediaSonic&x=0&y=0

OT:  <rant> I don't know why there isn't regular tower case with easy
many many times.  And, it would all disappear if we had an easy way of
managing harddisks. </rant>

--
William