Power draw of power supply. 700watt vs 1000 watt, etc

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 28 23:42:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 07:21:04PM -0400, ted leslie wrote:
> asus Rampage III Extreme mobo
> intel i7 930  oc'd to 3.8-4.0 ghz with a top of the line Noctua  cooler.
> 18 gb ram   3x2gb modules and 3x4gb modules (g.skill oc 2000mhz ram).
> 3ware sata3 raid controller
> 2 nvidia  250 type  (dual dual-link) pci-e 2.0 vid cards (run tri monitor set up).
> sound card,
> bluray drive,
> a few non-ssd drives, and a couple ssd drives.
> and a few more fans then average.
> Running linux, with a few vmware guest os's on it.
>
> i think the OC is the big unknown when calc'ing the draw, its 130watts at stock 2.8 ghz.
> sounds to me so far with what been said i better go with the 1000watt  supply,
> it isn't likely to hit my electical bill much different then a 750watt (lowest i would probably consider going),
> from what i am hearing? Also, i don't want to have any crashes do to underpowered psu.

Well I would at least go with a known good power supply.  So far I have
not been able to do that for the model you mentioned.

The 250 cards are probably around 150W max each (I have seen a number
of tests where each card hits 100W under 3D load).  Add another 150 for
the CPU, maybe 50 for the mainboard and ram, and about 10W per drive
(they probably don't use that much).  Looks like around 550 or 600W to me.
Something like a 750 or 850 might actually do well.  I think I would go
for a Corsair HX850 if I was building it.  That I know is a good power
supply.

--
Len Sorensen