Power draw of power supply. 700watt vs 1000 watt, etc

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 28 22:20:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 09:17:28PM -0400, ted leslie wrote:
> I am planning a new computer and have researched powersupplies.
> The
> Zalman ZM1000-HP
> seems to be the best (in my criterion of low noise, quality and power).
> But, I probably will only be grabbing 600-700watts from it (at this time) max.

It is generally recommended to be drawing about 50 to 60%.  Efficiency
tends to drop at maximum load.

I can't find any good (as in done properly) reviews for that power supply.

> All things considered equal,
> what is the power draw of a 700watt PSU loaded up say 600watt in use,
> vs a 1000watt PSU loaded up to same 600watt use? (i have a suspicion its not 600watts in both)?
> In otherwords, I don't mind having the 1000watt unit for its quality and future expansion,
> but if it  ends up using 50-100-150-200 more watts (for what ever reason), and I run my PC 24/7,
> it may not be a case were getting the big rig is the smart choice.
> I know if you relate it to "class a" amp. theory, it has to be full power hungry so it can render
> the amplication immediately. And with a PC-PSU i don't know if to deliver 1000watts (when needed), it
> has to use more (to be prepared for immediate delivery when required) then a lesser watt PSU.
> In addition this Zalman unit says it can handle peak of 1250.

I never trust the specs from the manufacturor.  I trust
hardwaresecrets.com and the like.

> Also, under equal loads, will the larger unit create more heat? i guess naturally if it did use more
> wattage, it would thus create more heat.
>
> I know you always want a supply that is rated for more wattage then you are going to ask for, with a decent
> (whatever that would be) buffer, but can you take a hit in your home hydro bill if you go for a
> monster supply (all be it "with same efficiency rating"?), and never use the extra room?

If it is 85% efficient at the load you are using, then it doesn't matter
if it is rated 600, 700 or 1000W, because it is 85% efficient at that
load.  Now a 600, 700 and 1000 are not likely to be equally efficient
at the same load.

What are you planning on putting in the machine?

--
Len Sorensen