Home NAS Recommendations

Rafael Carneiro rafael.carneiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 28 12:59:21 UTC 2010

I have a D-Link DNS-323 at home and I'm very happy with it. It is more
expensive but it gives you gigabit ethernet, a USB port and RAID 1. Out of
the box you also get: ftp, smb, UPnP media server, itunes server, torrent
(sort of, you need to "install" it, but I still consider that out of the
box).

http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=509
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_357&item_id=011783

Like many other such devices, it runs linux. It's very easy to get console
access ( telnet at first - http://wiki.dns323.info/ ) and from there the
limits are your imagination and it's processing power/memory =D (ARM 500MHz,
32MB RAM).

Rafael

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:31 AM, Robert Brockway
<robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Timothy Hildred wrote:
>
>  the sheevaplug might be a good option, low power use, pretty powerful,
>> nice and small
>>

> I've got a Sheevaplug and I'm very happy with it.  It's one of the earlier
> dev kit models.  The newer ones seem prettier :)
>
> Mine is acting as a firewall.  I wish it had 2 NICs - apparently the logic
> to support this is on board.  Since it doesn't I use a NIC on one side and
> a USB<->Ethernet bridge on the other.  It's been working well for nine
> months.
>
> I think it would make a fine fileserver/NAS.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob
>
> --
> Email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org         Linux counter ID #16440
> IRC: Solver (OFTC & Freenode)
> Web: http://www.practicalsysadmin.com
> Open Source: The revolution that silently changed the world

Rafael Carneiro, BEng
http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rcarneiro