Power draw of power supply. 700watt vs 1000 watt, etc

Digimer linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 27 01:54:26 UTC 2010

On 10-06-26 09:17 PM, ted leslie wrote:

> I am planning a new computer and have researched powersupplies.
> The
> Zalman ZM1000-HP
> seems to be the best (in my criterion of low noise, quality and power).
> But, I probably will only be grabbing 600-700watts from it (at this time) max.
>
> All things considered equal,
> what is the power draw of a 700watt PSU loaded up say 600watt in use,
> vs a 1000watt PSU loaded up to same 600watt use? (i have a suspicion its not 600watts in both)?
> In otherwords, I don't mind having the 1000watt unit for its quality and future expansion,
> but if it  ends up using 50-100-150-200 more watts (for what ever reason), and I run my PC 24/7,
> it may not be a case were getting the big rig is the smart choice.
> I know if you relate it to "class a" amp. theory, it has to be full power hungry so it can render
> the amplication immediately. And with a PC-PSU i don't know if to deliver 1000watts (when needed), it
> has to use more (to be prepared for immediate delivery when required) then a lesser watt PSU.
> In addition this Zalman unit says it can handle peak of 1250.
> Also, under equal loads, will the larger unit create more heat? i guess naturally if it did use more
> wattage, it would thus create more heat.
>
> I know you always want a supply that is rated for more wattage then you are going to ask for, with a decent
> (whatever that would be) buffer, but can you take a hit in your home hydro bill if you go for a
> monster supply (all be it "with same efficiency rating"?), and never use the extra room?

(Good) power supplies publish their efficiency curve. It may be that you
get higher efficiency at the ~700w range with a lower top capacity PSU.

There is no universal answer. In *general* though, my experience is that
peak efficiency tends to come in the ~75-80% load range.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:         linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com