Hacklab nerd caught in G20 security sweep

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 25 19:24:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 25 June 2010 14:04, Thomas Milne <tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY
>> <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> That URL is outrageous! What exactly has Byron Sonne bombed? That Belcher
>>> accuses someone of "terroristic" activities on the basis of charges that in
>>> the Canadian context have the same credibility as the charge of
>>> "hooliganism" in the former USSR is just beyond the pale. Shame on him!
>>> "Possession of an explosive device" and "possession of a weapon for a
>>> dangerous purpose" are catch-alls that Canadian police have used before to
>>> harass, intimidate, and jail dissenters and seize their property. (See:
>>> <http://brucemontague.ca>.)
>>>
>>> The Star article was the typical, despicable sensational crap that passes
>>> for journalism at that paper. Of what relevance is it that he is married or
>>> living common law, how much his home is worth (*), how his wife's father is
>>> well-to-do?
>>>
>>> (*) Million dollar homes aren't exactly uncommon in Toronto any more. I
>>> suspect the reference to the value of the home has to do with the Crown
>>> itching to seize it under the "proceeds of crime" legislation so that they
>>> can deprive the accused of any assets the accused may be able to use as
>>> collateral in funding a defence.
>>>
>>> It seems that if you get noticed by the police in this country, they will
>>> find a way to charge you and make your life quite miserable. Many of us
>>> probably have materials in our homes that can be considered an "explosive
>>> device". I have gasoline, kerosene, fertilizer, and lots of nails in my
>>> garage. I have all sorts of electronic components that I know how to use to
>>> build simple and accurate timers but you don't even need to get that
>>> sophisticated to make a timing device. A test tube (the little plastic tubes
>>> at the end of cut flowers will do), aluminum foil, some wire, water, and
>>> dried beans or chick peas will work quite well as a simple but not terribly
>>> accurate timing device. How do I know this? I read about it in more than one
>>> book about resistance groups operating in WWII.
>>>
>>> Until I see evidence to the contrary, I see this as much ado about nothing
>>> and the typical heavy-handed approach by the security establishment towards
>>> anything to do with this lousy summit. I wouldn't be surprised if these
>>> charges are dropped or stayed after the G20 summit.
>>
>> I hope you're right about the charges being dropped, but it's
>> doubtful. The police are pretty clearly making an 'example' of Byron,
>> as he has made it very clear that he intended to do whatever he could
>> to tip the technological balance in favour of those protesting against
>> power and privilege.
>>
>> I can tell you from many personal experiences that the police to not
>> respond well to anyone that shows the slightest resistance to their
> [...]

I don't think I'm 'enraged' that he is being prosecuted, nor am I
surprised. I can't speak for anyone else, but the point is that the
police are not supposed to act like pit bulls.

To me it's pretty clear that the police, as they usually do, are
taking this personally. They're made the choice to arrest Byron's
wife, which is common in cases where the police wish to intimidate
their target, in this case Byron, into pleading guilty and not making
an issue out of the ridiculous charges, as I hope he does.

For some reason, a lot of people seem to have accepted the canard that
we are under constant threat of terrorist violence, and that this
should allow the police to have absolute and unfettered power. It's
almost become 'uncool' to even speak out against the police, as you're
immediately branded as some kind of nutjob to even think ill of them.

That's what is surprising to me, and yes a bit alarming.

I'm thankful there are people like Byron who know they're going to
take a hit and forge ahead anyway.

--
TBM