Hacklab nerd caught in G20 security sweep

Digimer linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 25 19:18:16 UTC 2010

On 10-06-25 03:00 PM, Giles Orr wrote:
> While I'm inclined to believe that Byron Sonne wasn't going to do
> anything horrible, he made it clear in advance that he intended to
> poke, prod and test to see if he could get a reaction.  Guess what?
> He got a reaction.
>
> And now the papers are doing what they do - trying to sell more of
> their own fine product by creating exaggerations based on slight
> facts, and some of you are acting surprised and/or enraged.  I agree
> that the government has spent obscene amounts of money. I agree that
> the government has violated our rights in horrible ways during the
> G20/G8.  None of this makes Sonne's form of rebellion a good idea.
>
> When you take a pointy stick and start prodding a pit bull with it,
> saying "I'm just testing" isn't going to change the outcome.  As one
> of the commenters on Slashdot put it, "It sure seems like the goal all
> along was to get caught. The question was to determine the amount of
> suspicious actions he could take prior to being caught."  The outcome
> was a given (unless the Canadian police showed even greater
> incompetence than expected), now let's just hope that they give him a
> slap on the wrist and send him on his way after the 27th.

The government has repeatedly and increasingly "temporarily suspended"
our rights as guaranteed under the charter. Look at Vancouver during the
olymics, and now look at Toronto. If I walk within 5m of the fence,
something I *must* do to get home via Union, then I can be stopped and
searched without cause.

Our freedoms are being eroded. Byron had more guts than any of us. Yes,
he poked the bear with a stick, but what was the alternative? Sit at
home like good little passive Canadians and tell each other "it's okay,
it's just for a little while.".

Nothing Byron did was illegal. They had to find an obscure law designed
to protect lawyers and judges from the mafia to even get a warrant. Now
the police are trying "to make an example out of him" to send a clear
message; "Do as we say. Don't resists.". Get your papers out, citizen.

Anyone who apologizes for the government's erosion of our freedoms
should be ashamed of themselves.

He who gives up liberty for the sake of freedom deserves neither.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:         linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com