Hacklab nerd caught in G20 security sweep

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 25 17:42:02 UTC 2010

On 06/25/2010 10:58 AM, Robert Brockway wrote:
> Byron's CISSP has been suspended according to this site:
>
> http://www.belch.com/blog/2010/06/24/byron-sonne-g20-bomber-was-a-cissp/

That URL is outrageous! What exactly has Byron Sonne bombed? That
Belcher accuses someone of "terroristic" activities on the basis of
charges that in the Canadian context have the same credibility as the
charge of "hooliganism" in the former USSR is just beyond the pale.
Shame on him! "Possession of an explosive device" and "possession of a
weapon for a dangerous purpose" are catch-alls that Canadian police have
used before to harass, intimidate, and jail dissenters and seize their
property. (See: <http://brucemontague.ca>.)

The Star article was the typical, despicable sensational crap that
passes for journalism at that paper. Of what relevance is it that he is
married or living common law, how much his home is worth (*), how his
wife's father is well-to-do?

(*) Million dollar homes aren't exactly uncommon in Toronto any more. I
suspect the reference to the value of the home has to do with the Crown
itching to seize it under the "proceeds of crime" legislation so that
they can deprive the accused of any assets the accused may be able to
use as collateral in funding a defence.

It seems that if you get noticed by the police in this country, they
will find a way to charge you and make your life quite miserable. Many
of us probably have materials in our homes that can be considered an
"explosive device". I have gasoline, kerosene, fertilizer, and lots of
nails in my garage. I have all sorts of electronic components that I
know how to use to build simple and accurate timers but you don't even
need to get that sophisticated to make a timing device. A test tube (the
little plastic tubes at the end of cut flowers will do), aluminum foil,
some wire, water, and dried beans or chick peas will work quite well as
a simple but not terribly accurate timing device. How do I know this? I
read about it in more than one book about resistance groups operating in
WWII.

Until I see evidence to the contrary, I see this as much ado about
nothing and the typical heavy-handed approach by the security
establishment towards anything to do with this lousy summit. I wouldn't
be surprised if these charges are dropped or stayed after the G20 summit.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis