solved - Ubuntu 10.04 screen resolutions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 25 17:35:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 05:07:34PM -0400, marthter wrote:
> Yes, that's what I meant.  I wasn't expecting the DDC to work when using
> the VGA-to-5-BNC cable, but I was expecting it to work (per the
> monitor's manual) when using the VGA-to-VGA cable, yet it didn't.

Some monitors don't do it.  Some cables are broken.  Some video cards
are broken.  Some video card drivers are broken.

> Yes I was pleasantly surprised to find it in the list one time many
> incarnations ago and have often had to jump through hoops to get it back
> (this old monitor has outlasted many a box).  Though on the other hand
> it isn't really that odd, as it _is_ a 4:3 resolution (640x480 tripled
> in each direction) and for HD viewing (1920x1080) it displays more or
> less natively, i.e. doesn't require scaling, just the black bars.
>
> The one I never understood was 1280x1024 (5:4 aspect when almost
> everything was 4:3 - until the more recent 16:9 trend of course).

1280x1024 was simply a huge mistake.

> Yes, working great and the TV (FIFA football of course) playback is
> smooth now with the NVidia driver, unlike the open un-accerated driver
> (where I initially could get the resolution I wanted but not the
> smoothness).
>
> Although one could argue this is still a bug, as there should be a more
> user friendly option for when the monitor is not detected at all.  I
> guess they went down that road in past releases of letting you choose
> from every brand and model under the sun and are moving to autodetection
> more now.  Shrug.

Well if autodetect works for 99.9% of users, then that is probably the
right way to go.  Allowing a manual override that is hardly ever tested
by anyone anymore is just asking for more bugs I suspect.

--
Len Sorensen