Questions re swap and hibernate interaction on 8 gig machine

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 25 14:44:09 UTC 2010

| From: Robert Brockway <robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org>

| My arguments are set out here:
|
| http://www.practicalsysadmin.com/wiki/index.php/Swap

Thanks for that useful page.

| The other main reason for swap is the one the OP asked about - hibernation.

You don't mention that on your page.  Should you?

| swap partition is needed - you can't swap to a swap file under Linux[1].

| [1] Last time I checked.  Theoretically it is possible.  I'd love to hear this
| had been fixed but I haven't seen any reports.

Do you meand "you can't hibernate to a swap file"?  Is that
restriction documented somewhere (I haven't looked very hard)?

If you really mean that the system cannot swap to a swap file, is that
documented somewhere?  The swapon(8) awkwardly kind of says that a
file can be used.  mkswap(8) talks about how to initialize a swap file.