solved - Ubuntu 10.04 screen resolutions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 24 17:40:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:52:21AM -0400, marthter wrote:
> Yes and no, and I've tried it both ways with both the open and closed
> driver.  On the (on board) video card has only VGA output.  The monitor
> has a VGA input and a five-BNC-connector input (and I have both a
> VGA-to-VGA cable for the first case, and a VGA-to-5-BNC cable for the
> second case).  It claims in the manual to support DDC only when using
> the VGA input but I didn't get any output in Xorg.0.log similar to yours
> (mentioning DDC or EDID) with either cable.

5 BNC only provides RGB and H/V Sync.  No data.  You need extra pins
for the DDC data.

> After suffering at low res for a few weeks (a little too busy to
> tinker), I took another stab at this...
>
> The DDC comment was on the right track however.  I tried dozens of times
> to alter xorg.conf to tell it     HorizSync 30-115  Vertrefresh 50-160
> in the Monitor section.  Both with and without also specifying a
> ModeLine for 1920x1440.
>
> In the tries where I gave a ModeLine, the log file was saying 'No valid
> modes for "1920x1440"; removing.' but gave no more info on how this was
> determined.

There may not be any modelines by default for 1920x1440 (what an odd
resolution).  I guess it is within the range supported by VGA (2048x1536
is supported as far as I recall, although I don't remember at what
refresh rate).

Neat.  So it all works now then?

--
Len Sorensen