private servers sharing common root

teddy teddy-5sHjOODPK7E at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 24 14:32:49 UTC 2010

See a setup where they are building a lot of new servers.
To enable scripts and automation they all share a common root password.

I have learned that the same passwords on multiple servers, especially
the same root
password is a recipe for an insane amount of work, especially if there
is a security
breach. Because ALL the servers with the common password must be
considered compromised.

Now in this instance, these are private servers, not available to the
outside public.
They are relatively safe and secure. Nevertheless, if a security breach
does occur
they are all considered compromised.

Can a bash script that sets up a common root password, somehow operate
on servers
with different root passwds?

(Sorry if it sounds confusing. I am confused too at this time)
Perhaps in a few days I can repost with a clearer picture :)

/teddy